Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The box


It’s a conversation that’s as old as time and repeated every year, in all parts of the world...

‘I need the Christmas box from upstairs.’

“You need to breath, you don’t NEED a box.”

‘Listen Senor Grinch...just get the box will ya?’

“It’s only November!”

‘Hey, it’s A box. I had to get rid of all our Xmas stuff but this one box, surely you can do it.’

“I’ll get to it.” Hub goes out and washes the front yard gates.

I make my way to the garage and grab the smaller  6’ ladder. I go up 18 stairs and lean it against the wall in the hallway. It sits there for 2 days.

I open it up and leave it in the hall.

“You know there’s a ladder in the hallway?”

‘Really?’

“Are you finished with it?”

‘Right after you get the Christmas box, Santa!’

“Alright...do you know which closet it’s in?”

‘Yes.’

“Do you wanna give me a hint?”

‘Let’s try the room it’s been in front of for 2 days!’

Moaning and groaning, Hub moves the 6’ ladder, six feet into the room. Opening the sliding door carefully, he inspects the top shelf for ‘critters.’

“All’s clear!”

‘Glad to hear. Now while you’re up there Santa, wanna give me the box?’

Hub starts to move it.

“What the hell did you put in here?”

I grab the box from him, buckling under its weight, dropping it onto the bed. Hub leans over the ladder and lears....

“You know there's something you could do for me.”

Struggling down the 18 stairs with my precious  Christmas box, I tell my loving husband, of 36 years.....

‘Bite Me.’

“Ho ho ho to you too Senor Claus!”

Just a couple of thoughts from 2 Canadians living and loving it in Mazatlan!
Linda and Hub.