Friday, March 1, 2013

Dog



After four German Shepherds and a multitude of cats over the years, Hub put his foot down...no more pets!


Of course since then we have had 4 Iguanas, but they don't count since they seemed to only arrive in my backyard to give birth and then leave, so I was set on a petless home...


and geckos don’t count, they’re always around just eating bugs.

So, when Hub suggested inheriting a 5 yr old German Shepherd I have to say I didn’t take him seriously. 



That was, until Luqui (who names a female Lou-key) started coming to our casa for daily visits.





‘Isn’t she great?’ said Hub as he walked her into the yard.






“Uh huh”







‘And trained expertly!’




“Uh huh”


‘And just look at that face!!!’ 







“And she is here, why?”




‘Well, she has to get to know us to see if she wants to live here.’




I look at him and ask...“You do remember Duke, George, Tilley and you’re all time favourite, Saint Dugan?”

‘Exactly! Besides, she will keep you company when I’m not here, you know, protection.’


“Did you say you’re going someplace?” I asked with excited hope.





‘I could.’

And so, Luqui has now moved in and I’m thrilled to be able to talk to someone, other than Hub all day.

And the ritual has started...4.45am, I hear Luqui start to whine next to the bed.

Hub continues to sleep soundly as I get up, wash, dress and proceed downstairs with dog close behind excited to do her business.

An hour and a half later, after waiting patiently, Luqui decides it’s time for sleeping beauty to get moving.




She immediately races up the stairs and pushes the door open and proceeds to set her wet nose on the side of the bed. 


Not getting a response, Luqui starts to whine and then breaths in and out next to his face.




A short time later Hub staggers down the stairs to find Luqui waiting patiently. 



Giving them words of encouragement, I open the door and wave them off...Have a good morning Sunshine and a lovely walk...You too Hub!” 



I lean against the wall and see the sun start to poke it’s head into the sky...watching a man and his dog walk slowly into the sunrise.



Just a day in the life of 2 Canadians living and loving it in Mazatlan...our home in paradise!



Linda and Hub