Friday, March 20, 2015

Compassion & Patience???



Well, it's that time of year again.....










'Linda!! I nee...I needdd...' And the whining has begun.



You see, Hub's sick.







'Sick??? Hey, I'm dying here woman! Where's the Kleenex????'



He's got a cold.



I recall my high school counsellor suggesting that I should become a nurse. Ok, she was a professional, so she must know what she saying, right?







I remember going home and telling my mother..."the school thinks I should go into nursing." 

Her response was....


Walking up two flights of stairs I drop off the kleenex box to the patient, who is now searching for his ear muffs, and I hear...'these aren't the soft ones.'

Making my way back downstairs to look for the 'soft kleenex' I think about our son. He's 36 now and still breathing, so I guess I did something right, like using common sense. My Mother was a firm believer...'If you don't have anything broken...if you aren't bleeding... and there's no death certificate, you get your ass out of bed, before I do call the doctor!'



I hear 'the patient' sneezing and coughing from up the stairs...'Lindaaaa...have you seen my Halls cough drops?'



Walking back up two flights and I hand him a half opened package.“Maybe you should actually try lying down and resting. You know, give me...nooo give you some quiet time.”


It's at that point Hub jumps off the couch and runs to the wall, wearing ear muffs and turns off the ceiling fan...'My gawd woman!!! Are you trying to kill me with that hurricane wind?'



It's then that I think of my daughter-in-law and all the other wonderful nurses I have worked with over the years...each one smart and professional, working with hundreds and thousands of patients over the years...day in and day out. 
How the hell did they do it?????


I hear the patient wheezing upstairs... 'Lindaaaaa...you know a little compassion would help here!!!!!' 


Yes, each one of those nurses are professional and compassionate angels. 
I walk over to the freezer...drop two cubes into a glass, fill it with my idea of compassion and patience... and raise my glass to each and every one of them!!!! 
God Bless You!



Just a few thoughts from 2 Canadians, living and loving it in Mazatlan....our home in Paradise.


Linda and Hub